[rules-users] Drools Flow - UI Flow

OptimusPrime the.maxxxx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 04:48:17 EST 2010

Hello,

I am seeking for ideas:

for my current project, we have the requirement to externalize the business
and the sequence of steps of a web flow.

Example:
Online banking: money transfer from account A to account B.
Step1: gather transfer data from user. -> GOTO Step2.
Step2: route: IF amount >= 250$ GOTO Step3 ELSE GOTO Step4.
Step3: electronic signature -> GOTO Step4.
Step4: commit to backend.

Added value:
- We can plug any view technology we want on the UI steps.
- Interaction with the backend is not in the view.
- Business guys are able to reorder the steps, change the routing logic,...

I developed a small proof of concept with Spring Webflow 2 for all the UI
steps (Step 1, 3) and Drools Flow as 'flow controller'. It works quite well
in the same JVM.

But we also want Drools Flow to be on a remote server (+possibly
clustering).. There I am stuck because I need our custom WorkItemHandler to
start the UI.

So, dear community,
1. do you think a flow engine is appropriate for what we are trying to do ?
2. how to manage the 'remote' requirement ?

Thanks