[rules-users] What should I insert into the working memory?

Chris Selwyn chris at selwyn-family.me.uk
Sun Nov 28 10:29:11 EST 2010

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for the helpful response.

I do find myself using "contains" and "memberof" quite a lot depending
on whether I am going "up" or "down" the tree structure. Is this a
performance problem? Is it better to use "from"?
Thanks for the hint about adding the "parent" pointer in the child. I'll
have to think about that one because the schema is actually shared with
external trading partners.
I guess I could have an "external" version and and "internal" version
but then I would have 2 versions to maintain and that is not very desirable.
As someone else has asked, I do actually make modifications to the model
that I want to return to the client. So it is not read-only. That means
I would then have to do a post-rule processing pass to null out the
parent pointers (otherwise I would have cycles in the graph!) before
returning the answer. Actually... @XmlTransient will probably have the
desired effect.

(Thinks: I wonder whether it would be possible to write a JAXB plugin to
do this stuff and make the generated classes more "rules-friendly")

Thanks also for the hint about the code injection plugin. I was not
aware of that. I have just done some investigation into that and I find
that the code-injection plugin is present  in my Glassfish server but is
not named in the META-INF/services/com.sun.tools.xjc.Plugin file. So I'm
not sure that I can use it without getting a separate installation of JAXB.

Chris