[rules-users] Compatibility of serialized KnowledgePackages?

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Mon Jun 6 10:18:41 EDT 2011

On 06/06/2011 08:57, Ansgar Konermann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know if KnowledgePackages which have been compiled and
> serialized using Drools 5.0.1 can be de-serialized with 5.1.1 or 5.2.0.CR1?
>
> What about the other way round, serializing with a more recent version
> and de-serializing with an older version?
>
> Are there any obstacles here due to a change in internal representation
> of KnowledgePackages between versions, or is the serialized format
> "designed" to be an exchange format even between versions?
Serialised Packages are treated as just a "cache" as they can be
re-constituted from .drl. We do not guarantee any compatability between
any different releases.

Longer term we want to look into achieving something that provides
pre-compilation while also compatability across versions, but the
codebase needs a lot of refactoring to make that easy to do.

Mark