[rules-users] DROOLS PLANNER - computation times and comparison

ge0ffrey ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 03:45:03 EDT 2011

KD wrote:

> I went through some presentations on bin packing/cloud balance problems.
> I am interested in knowing about computational results relating to these
> problems, specially related to the size of the instances tackled and
> computational times. So how well do the methods scale with problem size?

They scale very good, both in data and in constraints.
In my experience, local search (tabu search, SA, ...) is the best up-scaling
algorithm out there.
Getting StartingSolutionInitializer right and setting a
minimalAcceptedSelection so a step is done every 1-2 seconds is critical
though.

Join the webinar next week:
  http://blog.athico.com/2011/05/drools-planner-webinar-on-wednesday.html
If I have time I 'll include some graphs to prove how it scales out.
Or try it yourself in the examples: run the *Importer (classes with main())
and they 'll output you how big each dataset it. Then use the *Benchmarker
to get a graph which the results for each dataset.

KD wrote:

> Could you also comment on performance/computational times with other
> commercial solvers?

Publishing benchmarks of some of the commercial solvers is illegal under
their license terms.
Some notes:
- Micro benchmarks are generally worthless and cheatable (see JavaOne/Devoxx
presentations of Cliff Click, Joshua Bloch, ...).
- Benchmarking N-queens is stupid: it's not NP complete. It's very cheatable
and besides the Drools Planner implementation is an unoptimized tutorial.
- Benchmarking pure TSP is ok but short-sighted. You need to be able to
scale in data AND constraints. (I am working on a TSP example in Planner but
it's not finished yet).
- Competitions such as ITC2007, RAS, ... are great benchmarks: they use
real-world data, real constraints, ...
I finished 4th in ITC2007 track 1 (much has improved since then) and all of
the other finalists were researchers that wrote their experimental solvers
from scratch as far as I know.