[rules-users] Any high volume trading examples?

Nigel R Murray nigelrmurray at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 10:59:22 EDT 2011

Hello all.  I'm at the point where I need to pick the brains of those of you
who have spent significant time with Drools  I am just in the process of
trying to decide if Drools is the right choice for a high volume trading
application.  It would be best if there were some simple examples out there
of how to create this type of app in Drools but I suspect they don't exist.
(The reason I even considered moving to a CEP framework is that I know that
Streambase claims to be ideal for this type of application.  But they are
way out of our budget.)

The application we are developing is highly modular and multi-threaded with
many self-contained operations/modules that can be performed in parallel on
incoming events.  Each threaded module would take as its inputs either the
input stream event or the outputs some other modules.  Eventually the
various outputs would be combined into an output trade request event.

I can envisage how to create such an application directly in Java using,
say, the Observer pattern (where each of the modules subscribes to its
desired inputs) but it's difficult to get this to run multi-threaded and we
are going to need to be able to use all the processors and cores available
on the executing server.  It's also a clumsy way to implement what should be
an elegant architecture.  If I understand the Drools paradigm correctly,
Drools should take care of multi-threading and timestamp synchronization
automatically.  This is the appeal.

I fear this is coming out a little like gobbledegook but before I spend much
more time on understanding how Drools works, I thought some of you experts
might have some simple words of advice.

Any comments or suggestions or am I way off base here?

Thanks!

Nigel