[rules-users] Basic rules question

Abhay B. Chaware Abhay.Chaware at kpitcummins.com
Fri May 6 04:59:46 EDT 2011

Hi

I am a newbie to rule based applications and trying to get the concept of rules. I have couple of questions about rules to start with, not specifically about Drools though.

Q1 - Should rules be data/model specific or can/should they be generic or both
e.g.
If selected product "TYPE" is "laptop", then category "RAM" should have all "DDR" type items compatible ( selecting items matching certain property )
OR
If selected product is "IBM T42", then category "RAM" should have "512MB DDR" , "1024MB DDR", "2048MB DDR"  compatible. ( assigning individual items in rules )
OR
Combination of both

Q2 - How should be the data modeled in above case
e.g.
in product master, each item ( e.g. T40, T42 ) should have a "TYPE" ( e.g. desktop or laptop ) , all items in category "RAM" should have a "TYPE" ( e.g. DDR ) and then control the assignment of RAM options to the PRODUCT through Rule using "DDR" type ?
OR
in product master, each item ( e.g. T40, T42 ) should have a "TYPE" ( e.g. desktop or laptop ) , all items in category "RAM"  should have a "compatibleProduct" column ( e.g. desktop or laptop ) and control the assignment of RAM to PRODUCT through "dynamic" rules by selecting all the RAMs by passing the "TYPE" of the product to the database handler.

Am I making my point clear ?

Thanks
Abhay