[rules-users] Rule Flow and Stateless Session

John Peterson john.peterson.gv3k at statefarm.com
Fri May 27 12:14:24 EDT 2011

I'm having some difficulty getting a rule flow with a stateless session to work.  Essentially, it is just executing the first task and then stops.  I'm using Drools 5.1.1 and I just built the sample Drools by creating a new Drools Project.

My rule flow is simple: Start-RuleGroup1-RuleGroup2-End

I use the 2 rules from example, putting the "Hello World" in RuleGroup1 and "Goodbye" in RuleGroup2.

Here's my code to run it:

// load up the knowledge base
KnowledgeBase kbase = readKnowledgeBase();
StatelessKnowledgeSession ksession = kbase.newStatelessKnowledgeSession();
KnowledgeRuntimeLogger logger = KnowledgeRuntimeLoggerFactory.newFileLogger(ksession, "test");

// start a new process instance
Message message = new Message();
message.setMessage("Hello World");
message.setStatus(Message.HELLO);

ArrayList cmds = new ArrayList();
ArrayList dataList = new ArrayList();
dataList.add(message);
cmds.add(CommandFactory.newInsertElements(dataList));

cmds.add(CommandFactory.newStartProcess("com.sample.ruleflow"));
ksession.execute(CommandFactory.newBatchExecution(cmds));
logger.close();

When I run the rules, all I get is "Hello World" (no "Goodbye cruel world").  It does work with a Stateful Session using insert, startProcess, and fireAllRules, but this is a test using the rule flows with CommandFactory functionality, something we need for an application we are developing.