[rules-users] org.drools.compiler.DroolsParserException while adding Package from DRL

ssprick s.sprick at tiq-solutions.de
Fri Nov 25 03:04:30 EST 2011

I was able to resolve the issue mentioned above by adding the follwoing line
to the VM arguments of my Eclipse Server Run Configuration for both, the
Tomcat for the Drools Engine as well as the Tomcat for the Guvnor:
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
(Added to: Package Explorer > Servers > Run As > Run Configurations > Apache
Tomcat > Arguments > VM arguments)

To me it seems that the package parser needs to be modified so that it is
able to detect wether the package is encoded with the correct character
charset (UTF-8) before parsing - in other words catching an encoding
exception. Otherwise the parser is confronted with tons of characters its
grammar isn't designed for and will crash (silently) leading to the strange
behaviour I already described in the error post.