[rules-users] java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found interface org.drools.reteoo.LeftTuple, but class was expected

danielje daniel.jendroska at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 04:14:54 EDT 2011

Hello drools users.
I'm developing a project that uses drools and jbpm2. I have a simple jbpm2
diagram that contains a few workItems, ruleflow groups and gateways.
I'm getting the following exception when the process flow goes into first
ruleflow-group:

java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found interface
org.drools.reteoo.LeftTuple, but class was expected

2011-09-22 08:54:09,125 INFO  [STDOUT]
(org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer#0-1) 	at
tele2Demo.Rule_Load_Data_Tray_0DefaultConsequenceInvoker.evaluate(Rule_Load_Data_Tray_0DefaultConsequenceInvoker.java:17)
2011-09-22 08:54:09,125 INFO  [STDOUT]
(org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer#0-1) 	at
org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireActivation(DefaultAgenda.java:906)
2011-09-22 08:54:09,125 INFO  [STDOUT]
(org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer#0-1) 	at
org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireNextItem(DefaultAgenda.java:845)
2011-09-22 08:54:09,125 INFO  [STDOUT]
(org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer#0-1) 	at
org.drools.common.DefaultAgenda.fireAllRules(DefaultAgenda.java:1056)

The problem occurs only when I read a ChangeSet.xml from remote guvnor
repository.
When I read rules from local path the error does not occur.

The jars I use:
drools-compiler :5.2.0.Final
drools-core :5.2.0.Final
drools-persistence-jpa :5.2.0.Final
knowledge-api-5.2.0.Final
jbpm-bpmn2-5.1.0.Final
jbpm-flow-5.1.0.Final
jbpm-flow-builder-5.1.0.Final
jbpm-persistence-5.1.0.Final

I verified the history of LeftTuple and indeed it was a class in all 5.2.0
release beside the Final where it was changed to interface.

Does anyone here have any idea how to get rid of this error? Are newer
versions of jppm packages using LeftTuple interface instead of class?

Best regards
/danielje