[rules-users] Planning Under Uncertainty

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 03:02:22 EDT 2011

drools-planner + drools-chance = planning under uncertainty

I am looking forward to the first alpha release of drools-chance,
so I can experiment with "planning under uncertainty" examples,
such as "investment portfolio optimization" etc.

If you want to do it today, you got 2 options as I see it:
1) Use drools-chance in your score DRL (and contribute to and fix
drools-chance)
   https://github.com/droolsjbpm/drools-chance
2) Write the uncertainty calculations yourself in your score DRL

Both ways require you to fully understand the math behind "uncertainty
calculations",
which in your case are "probability calculations" I think.
Here's just the beginning of the begin (Bayes' Rule etc):
   http://www.khanacademy.org/video/probability--part-6
   http://www.khanacademy.org/video/probability--part-7
   http://www.khanacademy.org/video/probability--part-8

 From a drools-planner perspective, there is no uncertainty:
The score DRL's need to produce a Score for a solution which is
comparable the Score of another solution of the same problem.
Even if the Score instance contains probability parts (which is
allowed), Planner doesn't care:
you still need to define which of the 2 Score instances is better (by
compareTo), something which is domain specific
(and might even depend on input data like how much risk you're willing
to take).

--
With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet