[rules-users] Creating template column in guvnor for attribute value?

dunnlow dunnlow at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 13:38:04 EDT 2012

I'm using Guvnor 5.4

I find myself sometimes wanting to use templates to map a string to a
metadata value or timer.  For example, based upon a name, set a value for
the timeout.  As far as I can tell however, the only way to create a
template column in guvnor is to include the column identifier in the LHS.

For example, I have a basic rule template that checks a name (there is only
a "name" column in the template matrix).  Then, I click on options, add a
timer and give it a value of "@{timeout}" I get an error - the timeout
column does not exist in the template.  However, if I write a dummy
expression on the LHS like "foo" not matches timeout, the timeout column is
created and everything is great once I set the value.  If I delete the
predicate that uses timeout, I get an error again for the timer attribute.

This gets really ugly because I end up having (seemingly) useless
predicates.  Is there a clean way to support this functionality?

Thanks,
-J