[rules-users] Accessing FactField Metadata

pcourtney Philip_Courtney at sra.com
Fri Aug 24 18:46:01 EDT 2012

Davide,

Thanks for your responses and for re-opening the JIRA.

Although I get warnings about accessing FieldDefinition and
AnnotationDefinition due to restriction on the
drools-core-5.4.0.Final.jar library, it does work to cast FactField to
FieldDefinition and use its methods to access the AnnotationDefinitions.

Regarding your other suggestion, I was able to use Java reflection to
get the FactType annotations (factType.getFactClass().getAnnotations()).
However, I was not able to use Java reflection to obtain the field
annotations. I successfully used
factType.getFactClass().getDeclaredFields() to get the Fields. But then
using field.getClass().getAnnotations() on each Field did not return any
annotations. Using the debugger, I can see that the
factType.definedClass.declaredFields.referent[0].annotations variable is
not null and is null for referent[1] and referent[2] where each referent
is a Field. I do not know how to interpret the contents of the Field's
annotations variable, but at least it is not null for the first Field
which seems correct since I have a DRL field annotation on the first
field and not on the next 2.

Thanks again for your help.

Phil