[rules-users] unable to resolve method using strict-mode

larryc larry.chambers at sentry.com
Tue Aug 28 15:11:18 EDT 2012

Hello.  We are attempting to migrate old 5.0.0 Guvnor rules to BRMS version
5.3.  We keep running into variations of the following error:

[Error: unable to resolve method using strict-mode:
org.drools.spi.KnowledgeHelper.request()]
[Near : {... .addFieldToDocument(request, "ALL", "COVG_SR22_FEE ....}]
^ [Line: 5, Column: 37]

I've seen similar postings concerning "unable to resolve method..." but we
still haven't been able to figure out what's wrong.  Here is the actual rule
from 5.0.0.

rule "VA SR22 Amount"
    no-loop
    ruleflow-group "default"
    dialect "mvel"
    when
        request : FormRequest(
                                                payload.policy.drivers != ""
&& != ( null ),
                                                driver :
payload.policy.drivers.driver != "" && != ( null ),
                                                payload.policy.ratingState
== "VA" )
        drivers : ArrayList()
        from collect( Driver( key != "",requiresSR22=="true") from driver)
    then
        int size = drivers.size();
        for(int i =0; i < size; i++){
                                                Driver dvr = drivers.get(i);
                                                int drvNbr =
Integer.parseInt(dvr.getKey().substring(6));

DocumentHelper.addFieldToDocument(request, "ALL",
"COVG_SR22_FEE_AMT","$0.00");
        }
End

Any help would be appreciated.