[rules-users] Best model for planning?

mvermand mvermand at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 12:02:08 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'd like some advice on how to make my model.

I need to plan maintenance-schedules for - let's say - airplanes.
Constraints are:
- planes are only at given moments available for maintenance (when not in
the air ;-)
- maintenance of a planes requires a number of techniciens (with specific
skills).
- techniciens have skills and also shifts and vacation.

Now, first I tought to make the maintenance of a plane the planningEntity.
But I did not know how to populate and match the techniciens.

So, second I tought to make a new Task-class the planningEntity.
A Task is a job that needs to be done by a technicien with specific skills.
Maintaining a plane requires then a number of tasks.

If I choose this model, I think I'll have to pass two Plannings variables to
the Task planningEntity:
1) a Maintenance-fact (Plane + Period + list of required tasks) and
2) a Technicien-fact (?)

Then I'll need to check if availabity of plane and availability of
technicien match and also skill-requirement of task and skills of
technicien.

Do you think this second model is the right one?

Will it perform well?
=> ? matching all combinations of plane availabilty and
techniciens-availability and -skills.

Thanks in advance