[rules-users] Drools Planner: Planning variable gets assigned value out of valueRange => primitive types problem

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 01:50:17 EST 2012

Yes, FROM_PLANNING_ENTITY_PROPERTY works in 5.4.0.Final.
You're suffering from a different problem:

Change your planning variable type from long to Long and default it null.
Planner presumes that a variable == null is uninitialized, but a
variable == 0 it considers initialized.
As a result, the construction heuristic won't bother to initialize the
variables that are == 0.
The local search heuristic will change it, but there's no guarantee it
won't change all of them.

For Planner 6.0, there will be
@PlanningVariable(uninitializedEntityFilter = ...),
which will make it easy to tell Planner that 0 means uninitialized.