[rules-users] Why is solving a partial puzzle much slower than generating one from scratch?

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 03:21:42 EST 2012

Op 02-02-12 07:19, aitchnyu schreef:
> Here is the complete config I used (simulated annealing). I also tried it
> with Solution tabu. Simulated annealing gets to the stuck state faster :-)
> I am moving on to my main timetabling project; I got deadlines to meet. But
> I feel a bit bad about leaving this unsolved. I would like to *send you* the
> repo containing my working 2x2 sudoku solver that generates and solves
> sudokus, and 3x3 solver that generates well and solves just a few problems.
>
> Hopefully it will make a good standalone (no Swing, AbstractApp,
> AbstractPersistable, Xstream and other hoops) *quickstart* for Drools
> Planner, at ~500 lines of code that you can include in your documentation.
> If heavy-duty constraint satisfaction isnt a strong point for (heuristics
> and) Drools, it seems an example worth covering, right?
All examples in Planner inflict a certain maintenance cost: they need to
be refactored along, high-quality (because users copy them) and be
checked before every release.
There are already 2 toy examples (NQueens, Manners2009): that's enough.
Additional high-quality real-world examples with real-world data are
welcome though (for example airplane routing, job shop scheduling, ...).

That being said, do publish your repo on github, maybe someone else on
this list wants to take a shot at fixing it :)
> I, in turn will learn where my approach went wrong.
>
> </constructionHeuristic>  -->
>    <constructionHeuristic>
>      <constructionHeuristicType>FIRST_FIT</constructionHeuristicType>
>
>    </constructionHeuristic>
>    <localSearch>
>      <selector>
>

> <moveFactoryClass>in.co.technovia.sudoku.solution.RowChangeMoveFactory</moveFactoryClass>
>      </selector>
>      <acceptor>
>
> <simulatedAnnealingStartingTemperature>8</simulatedAnnealingStartingTemperature>
>
>      </acceptor>
>      <forager>
>        <minimalAcceptedSelection>20</minimalAcceptedSelection>
>      </forager>
>    </localSearch>
>
> *For Tabu*
> <acceptor>
>        <solutionTabuSize>1000</solutionTabuSize>
>      </acceptor>

With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet