[rules-users] limits on number of rules in Guvnor in a package, loaded in knowledge base

Nicolas Héron nicolas.heron.java at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 03:16:04 EST 2012

Hello,
On one of the drools project I worked before (end if 2011), we were using :
1) Guvnor as rule authoring and repository. Decision tables are updated
automatically from remote via the rest api => 100 000 rules in total
2) The package is built on guvnor => 64 bits JVM Heap of 6 GB and on a
virtual environment with 2 core and a standard server => 3-5 minutes to
build the package
3) the run time are loading the package in binary format => 30 seconds to
upload the binary and to build the knowledgebase
4) the project consists of calculating costs during all day, in batches, in
real-time, etc..  => 32 bits JVM and in 1.5G of heap, 3 threads are running
in parallele and building/removing statefull sessions.
We never came into  memory issues but when you run a test scenario, it
builds the package so if there are one than one user autoring rules and
tests scenarios => Take memory. It i why we decided to go to a 64 bits JVM
to be able to have a bigger heap.
I hope it helps
Nicolas Héron

2012/2/6 vadlam [via Drools] <ml-node+s46999n3718794h47 at n3.nabble.com>

> just wanted to ask one of the questions again.
>
> currently, we have around 900 rule assets as shown in Guvnor. some of them
> are decision tables which mean that the total number of rules might be lot
> higher ( because each decision table on average has around 20 rows or so)
>
> assuming that the number of rules comes to around 1500 or so,
>
> can we
>
> 1. split this one package in Guvnor into 2 packages, build them separately
> in Guvnor
>
> 2. and load each of them one after the other into the knowledgebase?
>
> will this make any difference to the way memory is consumed during loading
> the rules into the knowledge base?
>
> currently, when loading the single package into the knowledgebase, our
> windows server is crashing  throwing OutOfMemory error.

> below:
>
> http://drools.46999.n3.nabble.com/limits-on-number-of-rules-in-Guvnor-in-a-package-loaded-in-knowledge-base-tp3716069p3718794.html
> .
> NAML<http://drools.46999.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

-----
Nicolas Héron