[rules-users] DSL Build Problem

John Peterson john.peterson.gv3k at statefarm.com
Tue Feb 7 15:31:39 EST 2012

I'm looking for a little help on a problem we can't figure out with some DSL errors during a build.  We're working with version 5.3.0.Final on RSA 7.5.5.

The offending line of DSL is on the rule is:

Write qualifyingPoints on Result as $var01 * $var02

$var01 and $var02 are variables set in the WHEN part of this rule.

The offending line of code is translating to:

modify (Result){qualifyingPoints = $var01 * $var02};

When I execute the program that calls this rule, if fails during the build process with the following:

Unable to Analyse Expression @Modify with (Result){qualifyingPoints = $var01 * $var02 };
 [Error: java/lang/String.isEmpty()Z]
[Near : {... @Modify with (Result){qualifyingPt ....}]
                     ^
[Line: 1, Column: 9] : [Rule name=Qualifying Points rule 1']

If I modify the code to use an assignment and update instead of modify, it will build without an error:

Result.setQualifyingPoints(  $var01 * $var02 );update (Result);

Note that we only see this behavior on RSA.  We do not see it on Eclipse (but we need to use RSA).

I didn't find anything online so I thought I'd check to see if this is something someone has seen before.

Thanks!