[rules-users] Removing Special Characters

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 07:24:01 EST 2012

See below.

On 3 January 2012 13:01, Lalitha <v.lalithasri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  I am working on drools. I would like to remove Special characters which
> are existed in the data i.e. replacing special characters with null.
> Following is the code:
>
> rule "Wild Character validation"
>  when
>    c : CustomerInfo(customerName != "");

It is much better to write a condition that selects just the objects you're
really interested here, i.e., the ones containing the characters you want
to eliminate, thus:

    c: CustomerInfo( customerName matches ".*[*#].*" )

>  then
>
>   int l = c.length();
>   int ch = 0;
>   int i = 0;
>   for (i = 0; i < l; i++) {
>      if (data.charAt(i) != "*"|| data.charAt(i) != "#"){
>         continue;
>        }
>        ch++;
>        data.setCharAt(i, "");
>      }
>   c.setCustomerName(data);
> end

I assume that you assume that data is a String, but you haven't assigned it
a value. And even if you do, you cannot modify a String. This is simple
Java coding, and I'd say that you should go and study a Java text book.

Here's the right hand side code I'd use:

String data = c.getCustomerName().replaceAll( "[*#]", "" );
modify( c ){ setCustomerName( data ) }

I don't think you want to replace these characters with "null". I think you
just want to remove them from the string, so that
"foo*bar#baz" becomes "foobarbaz".

-W