[rules-users] Template Key in DSL

FrankVhh frank.vanhoenshoven at agserv.eu
Tue Jan 10 05:28:58 EST 2012

Hi,

laune wrote

> As much as I like source code generators, I must confess that I've come to
> dislike the generation of many almost identical chunks, e.g., varying only
> in literals.

Imho, that would be a case to put in a decision table.

laune wrote

> This means that using templates without an "if" in the available macro
> language is a "weak" tool. Consequently, this triple layering isn't on my
> "tops" list.

You are probably right with this. Templates should probably be considered as
a tool that allows you to generate quite complex rules with only minor
coding. Of course, the more coding the more rigid (and less agile) the
solution will become.

Actually, this will split your data in two separate layers, the original
data and the transformed data and will burden you with the overhead of the
transformation code. However, there might be a valuable trade-off in going
for this approach.

Regards,
Frank

laune wrote