[rules-users] Executing a subset of rules.

Stephen Masters stephen.masters at me.com
Tue Jan 10 10:31:12 EST 2012

Hi folks,

I'm curious on what would be best practice with regards configuring things so that only a subset of rules is evaluated in certain situations.

I have a knowledge base that is designed to evaluate a whole variety of rules relating to whether a trade can be carried out. I would like to generate a 'report' of what banks I can trade with based on their current ratings. i.e. Based on rules like "Do not place funds in a counterparty (bank) below Moodys A2 rating." However there are numerous other rules such as "Do not place more than 20% of a fund in a single currency".

To generate the report I was going to set up a batch of dummy trades for evaluation and 'ask' the rules engine whether I am allowed to trade. However, specifically for the purposes of this report I don't want to see failures caused by anything other than a counterparty ratings rule.

I was thinking that one option would be to organise my packages so that I have an isolated 'counterparty ratings' package. That way I could load that specific set of rules into a counterparty ratings reporting session, and not others.

Does that seem a reasonable way of doing things? Or are there better ways of doing this?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

Steve

Stephen Masters
http://about.me/stephen-masters