[rules-users] Large number of rules in Drools

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 15:37:32 EST 2012

Assuming that the remaining 19998 rules are of the same kind, there is a
lot of data in these rules, and only very little logic. Ignoring the issue
of "Olympia" being one of the cities not being "Seattle", we have the
problem of matching a triplet of <field,state,city> from a Student fact so
that we can store one or more Subjects in Student.subjects.

Imagine that you have objects of type Inscribe containing a triplet of
field, state, city and the pertaining List<Subject>. Then you could write a
single (!) rule

rule register
when
  $stu: Student ( $f: field, $s: state, $c: city )
  $ins: Inscribe( field==$f, state==$s, city==$c )
then
  $stu.setSubjects( $ins.getSubjects() );
end

BTW: Why do you use equals with state? Using "==" should be possible here,
too.

And, of course, matching ~20000 different triplets to facts of a single
type isn't really RBS fodder. You can design a simple Java program that
achieves this goal, assuming you can come up with a straightforward
representation of the <field,state,city;subject+> mapping.

-W