[rules-users] Large number of rules in Drools

Michael Anstis michael.anstis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 05:05:00 EST 2012

"Thousands" of lines of DRL in a single file represent an issue not just to
Guvnor but to anything handling it.

The recommendation would be to split the DRL into individual rules,
resulting of thousands of assets in Guvnor.

The next question would be if you have "thousands" of similar rules why not
use a singe Template or Decision Table?

Having said that, using a Template or Decision table in Guvnor with
"thousands" of rows could exhibit a problem at present.

Both of the editors in Guvnor do not scale well past a few thousand. This
is a known issue and we have an open item to address given time.

Using an Excel based decision table loaded into Guvnor would be workable,
however the compilation time to build a binary package may be an issue (I
don't know).