[rules-users] Rules for generating calendar events

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 12:09:33 EST 2012

So the cars with their shifts would be hard facts. Or, as I'd do it:
there's cars, and shifts, and assignments of cars to shifts.

The definition of a shift is all that's necessary to generate the roster
for any car that's defined to run during this shift, and so a shift would
be a set of definitions made up from day of week, start time, end time,
holiday flag, etc. Therefore, I think you'll need a way of defining these
descriptions in a convenient way - but this is not a rule, it's the
definition for an interval depending on calendar and clock values. (Does
"crontab" mean anything to you?)

Now, given these sets of shift definitions and the cards and the
association between these, you can generate, for any given month, the
actual times for each car, i.e., what the drivers can sign up for. With all
the days of a month as facts (with the properties that are used in the
shift definitions) you can write a set of rules that match the days with
shift definitions and cars, and each match will then create a schedule
entry for sign up. You don't need a human readable notation for this
(presumably: small) set of rules; these are technical and not to be messed
with by end users.

HTH
Wolfgang