[rules-users] java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to com.sample.DroolsTest$Message

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 02:36:04 EST 2012

You cannot cast an object of type java.lang.String (i.e.
$a as it is bound to "add") to Message.

Apparently you have not understood how "from" works.
(Its various forms are described in the "Expert" manual.)
Most frequently, it is used to "pull" one or more objects,
one at a time, from a fact, in order to permit them to
match a pattern although they have not been inserted
in Working Memory.

What I see in this rule doesn't indicate what you might
have intended to do - so I cannot propose an improved
version.

-W