[rules-users] Declarative fact model or Java?

Stephen Masters stephen.masters at me.com
Fri Jan 20 07:16:31 EST 2012

Hi Davide,

Thanks for your thoughts. The application is just a service which takes an XML request, converts that into a fact and inserts that into the working memory. Based on rule evaluations, it responds to the client with more XML indicating whether the requested action is permitted.

On of the key aims of the project is to enable management of some rules by 'the business' through Guvnor. The current 1-1 mapping you mention is partly what put me off using Java models, as it leads to 'technical' attributes being present in the Guvnor fact model, which are not relevant to the business. The more I can keep the fact model within Guvnor minimal, the better.

So following your logic, given that:
There is no legacy model to deal with.
~80% of what is going on will be within Drools, with the Java code just to insert/update facts and marshal XML.
I would really like to avoid a 1-1 mapping of Java classes to DRL facts.
... I think I'll stick with DRL facts.

Given that I'm not too sure exactly what I want out of it yet, I'm not sure how much I could contribute to a spec, but I'd be happy to help out with things. If only by testing out early code and providing feedback. If there's anything you think I might be able to help out with, feel free to ping me an email.

Many thanks,

Steve
stephen.masters at me.com