[rules-users] Debug rule functions ?

Welsh, Armand AWelsh at StateStreet.com
Thu Jan 26 12:29:38 EST 2012

Personally, I never use DRL functions.  I create my functions in a java class module, and I import functions into drools.  I have noticed that in earlier versions of Drools (I don't know about recent versions), that using drl functions put a larger load on system than using imported external functions.  Plus you gain the added benefit of being able to use your IDE's built-in debugger to step through the function logic.

-----Original Message-----
From: rules-users-bounces at lists.jboss.org [mailto:rules-users-bounces at lists.jboss.org] On Behalf Of ipeshev
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:17 PM
To: rules-users at lists.jboss.org
Subject: [rules-users] Debug rule functions ?

Hello,

could some give me some tips for debugging *functions* in .drl ?
by now I'm not able to debug *inside the functions* which are called by the
rule sequence.
I follow the
http://docs.jboss.org/tools/3.0.0.GA/en/drools_tools_ref_guide/html_single/index.html#debugging_rules
JBoss Drools Tools Reference Guide  but what is show there is how to debug a
very simple *rule sequence*. I have no problem with that - following the
guide everything is ok.

BUT
There is nothing shown about a more complex case when there are functions
(java-like) in the .drl file and the rule calls one or more of these
functions. And one function calls another etc. (just like in normal
programming)
When a put a breakpoint inside functions I cannot debug them.
I can only debug the *rule* ("then" section)

Any help would be appreciated?
Or any official info if this supported at all.
versions etc.

Best Regards
Ivan