[rules-users] DSL for multiple 'OR'

Stephen Masters stephen.masters at me.com
Mon Jan 30 09:49:35 EST 2012

Hi folks,

I'm trying to create a DSL (to drive a Guvnor guided editor), for which a rule could be written as:
Given a cucumber
- containing one or more worm holes
- or with a curvature greater than 10mm per 10 cm length
- or with a hue of less than 90 degrees
- or with a hue of greater than 150 degrees
Do not put that cucumber on the supermarket shelf

(note: I'm actually developing a banking risk management system looking at different types of counterparty ratings, rather than a fruit&veg quality control system, but hopefully the above example is more readable!)

Is there a decent metaphor that could be used by a business user in Guvnor to manage such rules in one place? Or is it likely to be necessary to create multiple rules?

As far as I understand, every condition added to a rule through such DSLRs adds itself to the filter. i.e. They are AND rather than OR.

The other metaphor I could think of is the decision table as a neat interface for generating multiple rules, but that seems to be geared towards creating rules based on multiple values of a single attribute rather than multiple conditions.

I'm trying to keep the user interface as simple as possible, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve