[rules-users] Logical insert and cyclic rules dependences

zephyr ls262570 at students.mimuw.edu.pl
Tue Jul 3 06:24:02 EDT 2012

Guess i shouldn't post this example. Maybe ill think of the better one some
day.

Maybe a little more background will make my problem easier to see.

I'm writing a program that simulates thinking, using a special logic that is
proven to works well because of many limitations and inspected interactions
of rules you can use. The core of this logic are rules in the form of
implication and facts that represent observations etc. Those rules can be
stupid because there is a "nonsense" logic value that appears when rules
contradict one another. I have no control over the rules i get.

I do have algorithm that guarantees no infinite loops while reasoning and
coming up with results that make sense in the end. The problem is - how to
use drools to calculate what i want in an effective way.  Im trying to
"translate" consequences of algorithm on given thinking rules to Drools
rules that will represent conclusions, finding contradictions etc (or if
impossible use drools rete fast pattern matching in less direct way). Drools
pattern matching was really nice and i got a really nice system in no time,
so i can concentrate on giving this system better environment. It almost
worked, almost is this logic junk that stays and brakes some of my
conclusions.

So the goal is to create "pandora box" that will support all kinds of weird
rule interaction that at the end gives true and inconsistent facts list.

In life its not that easy to distinguish cause and effect, rules are often
correlation based observations and stereotypes. Like "if this guy has knife
he's dangerous" and "if hes dangerous he might have a weapon". [hmm maybe
here one could find a better illustration]

I thought that such logically inserted cycles do appear in other
applications so maybe there is a way to deal with them. My example was not
the best one, but i think with more complicated rules and much logical
insertions this can happen and on some hard to find occasions make your
system do strange things based on not removed junk facts, so it might make
complicated logical insert based system unreliable as the premise of only
being in fact memory when inserted facts support it is not guaranteed in
this case.

laune wrote