[rules-users] rule execution flow..

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 16:27:37 EDT 2012

For documenting or designing the sequencing behaviour of, say, Agenda
Groups you can use something old-fashioned like flow charts. It's generally
accepted that rule based programming should best avoid dependency on
"flow", i.e., any mechanism exercising explicit control over the time where
rule groups are active. One notable exception is the requirement for
(relatively large) rule groups being applied in a sequence of stages. Also,
certain rule patterns warrant sequencing of small rule sets, which is best
achieved by "control facts"; occasionally one might use two or three levels
of salience to enforce sequencing.

-W