[rules-users] Migrating from 4.0.7 to 5.4.0.Final

Mario Fusco mario.fusco at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 09:31:00 EDT 2012

Hi again,

You are looking at the correct branch and I didn't change the MvelConstraint
class indeed. What I did is to change the ClassGenerator to try to avoid the
creation of new ClassLoaders (when possible).

Said that what I don't understand is why you expect the generated classes to
be garbage collected. They are used to evaluate the constraints in your
rules, so I don't think they could/should be CG'd anyway. Am I missing
something?

Anyway we are realizing that the required PermGen space could be a problem
especially if you have a big rule base, so I am going to add a configuration
option that will allow you to define how many space you want to give to
these JITted constraints. Once the engine will hit this limit it will just
stop JITting further constraints leaving them run in interpreted mode.
Hopefully the users will be able to find a good trade-off between
performances and memory occupation in this way. Does this make sense to you?

Mario