[rules-users] Drools/Tomcat/Mysql - dueling repository.xml's

mfeber mfeber at zynga.com
Tue Jul 24 15:45:57 EDT 2012

I am fairly new to Drools.  I am using guvnor 5.4.0. Final installed on
Tomcat 7.0.27.  Following the instructions in the documentation, I
1) Defined/downloaded the a repository.xml pointing to a mysql instance
using the Administration -> Repository Configuration wizard.
2) Stopped Tomcat, removed the $CATALINA_HOME/bin/repository.xml and
repository directory
3) Copied the new repository.xml to $CATALINA_HOME/bin
4) Started Tomcat
5) Using guvnor, my assets were created/stored in the mysql db
6) Stopped Tomcat
7) Started Tomcat
8) Guvnor wrote a new repository.xml into $CATALINA_HOME (NOT
$$CATALINA_HOME/bin which still contained the db version created in step 1.)
and had 'forgotten' about the assets created in step 5.
9) Stopped Tomcat
10) Replaced the $CATALINA_HOME/repository.xml with a copy of the
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/repository.xml.
11) Started Tomcat
12) Guvnor started using the mysql instance again and 'remembered' the
assets from step 5

Now there are two repository.xml files in $CATALINA_HOME and
$CATALINA_HOME/bin.  This should not be necessary re the documentation.

Why did it create a new repository/repository.xml in $CATALINA_HOME after a
Tomcat restart?
Which repository.xml is it really using now?
How can I convince it to only use one of them?

[Also of note: the workspace.xml files in
$CATALINA_HOME/repository/workspaces/default and
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/repository/workspaces/default are identical after step
11.]

Thanks,
   Mark