[rules-users] JBPM fails to resume a rehydrated active process instance

Alberto R. Galdo argaldo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 03:55:15 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

   We are using JBPM 5 for long running processes in one of our products,
both, the knowledge session and WorkItemInfo & ProcessInstanceInfo are
persisted in a PostgreSQL database. Our processes involve a set of
automated tasks along with UserTasks handled inside JBPM's HumanTask
provided server  ( the one that uses mina & JPA ).

   For maintenance purposes, our application needs to be restarted once in
a while so we need our processes to keep running after a sucesful
rehydratation of the knowledge & JBPM contexts . We've tested a persistent
approach like this:

     - We started our application and started several instances of a
process that involves at least one human task node.
     - We've completed several human tasks in the current session and
things went ok, workitems got completed & processinstances desappeared as
processes came to and end.
     - We left several human task in state"Ready" for our users to consume
afterwards.
     - We restarted the application and let JBPM rehydrate it's context via
  JPAKnowledgeService.loadStatefulKnowledgeSession()

   Then we acquired and completed a "Ready" HumanTask, it got completed in
JBPM HumanTask server's database backend but the process attached never got
neither updater, nor its subsequent nodes were executed. This is weird.

    We first tought it was a rehydratation problem and that the process
definition was not loaded properly, but what was our suprise when we've
been able to execute several new process instances wich we could complete
properly. So, seems that we are able to complete "current" ( as in the
current session, not the rehydrated ones ) process instances, but not able
to complete process instances that are not started in the "current" session
( the rehydrated ones ).

   What's wrong here. Is it not possible to resume a process in a
rehydrated session when human tasks & JBPM's HumanTask server are involved?

Greets,

Alberto R. Galdo
argaldo at gmail.com