[rules-users] Unification with logical or question

bdolbeare bdolbeare at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 9 08:20:58 EDT 2012

Thank you for your response.

I am aware that the rule with the conditional or gets rewritten into two
separate rules and that rule is actually doing what I would expect --
producing two matches.

The main part of my question is why doesn't the second rule produce the same
results -- I was expecting two matches but it only produces one.  The only
thing I can think of is that it's an order of operations issue but that
doesn't seem to make sense given the parenthesis.  The second pattern in
that rule is basically:

     condition || (! condition && unification)

This should produce two matches with the given data but, it doesn't produce
a match when the condition left of the || is satisfied (in that case the
unification shouldn't be happening but, maybe it is?).  If I change the rule
to the following, it does produce two matches which makes me believe that
the unification is affecting things.

     condition || ! condition

Thoughts?