[rules-users] Firing the rules in a sequence for all the items in an ArrayList.

Amal Gupta Amal_Gupta at infosys.com
Tue Jun 12 06:14:08 EDT 2012

Hello,

I am new to Java and Drools and have a doubt regarding the sequence of rules' execution as stated below :-

Scenario:- I have a scenario wherein I have to apply multiple rules on multiple columns coming in a file. To simulate that I created a 2-D array as follows

String[][] data =  {
                        {"1791","8459625","78458745","20120610","20120610" },
                        {"1792","8459623","78458745","20120610","20120610" },
                        {"1793","8459624","78458745","20120610","20120610" },
                        {"17944","8459626","78458745","20120610","20120610"}
                  };

Here each column of corresponds to a member for the following class

public class DailyPLC {

      private String Id;    // This value will correspond to data[i][0]
      private String productCode; // This value will correspond to data[i][1]
      private String customerCode; // This value will correspond to data[i][2]
      private String date1; // This value will correspond to data[i][3]
      private String date2; // This value will correspond to data[i][4]

      private int rowNumber; // The row number to keep a track of row for which the record exists

      /*Getters and Setters defined for each of them*/
}

I have to perform checks on each of the columns, and the intent is to create all the rules that I need for the entire array and save it in a single drl file. Also, at the execution time, all the rules should be applied - either at once or sequentially - to all the rows of the data.

Approach:-  I tried the following

1.       Created an ArrayList

ArrayList<DailyPLC> alPLCArrayList = new ArrayList<DailyPLC>();

2.       Iterated over the data and stored each row into a field of the object of DailyPLC class.

3.       For every iteration, added the object into the array list.

alPLCArrayList.add(plcToday);  // The plcToday is the object of the DailyPLC class

4.       When executing the rules, I am adding all the items of the ArrayList one by one and adding into the Knowledge Session.

for(DailyPLC d : alPLCArrayList)

            {

           ksession.insert(d);

            }

Problem Faced :- The problem that I faced is that when I do FireAllRules, the rule only validates the last record. The intent is that it should traverse the list and give a result for all the members of the list.
Have I missed something here?

Please assist.  Let me know in case you need any more information

Thanks in Advance,
Amal Gupta

Infosys e-mail system.