[rules-users] Drools Planner changing problem fact (2D bin packing with related dimension and continuous values)

Ralph S. ralphschwitalla at me.com
Thu Jun 21 03:57:01 EDT 2012

Hi Geoffrey, Wolfgang,
sure is the problem discretized (the layer on which it should be packed is
fixed size say 100cm x100cm and the rectangles have sizes to the cm) , that
was not the question.

I can build a planning value x/y with a list of 100 entries for every cm and
combine them, but i think this is very inefficent.

>Yes, but I still believe in this approach.
>The number of combinations is far less then any n^n formula where n is
>the size of max double, float, long or integer.
>Basically, this approach discretizes it, but not as handy.

I can´t imagine a solution where you can have multiple x-predecessors and
y-predecessors
and try to find out the combinations.

If i can´t use drools planner for the guilliotine based solution it´s ok,
then i will program it by hand in java.
But i found Drools very promising.

Greetings,
Ralph