[rules-users] Need Suggestion about what rule engine to use

Vincent LEGENDRE vincent.legendre at eurodecision.com
Mon Jun 25 13:07:36 EDT 2012

Your 2nd use case, and especially the part "10k rules, growing, dynamic, changing" is a good reason to use engine like drools.
And to me, using the same system for both use cases is better than mixing technologies, even if the use case 1 is not an obvious candidate (15 simple rules that never change...).

Then you should read the doc (and post questions here) to have a clear ideas on :
- if the drools langage has everything you need, and stays clear to you (and for the rules' authors)
- the engine is not too overkill for what you are planning to do (have a look to the difference between default forward chainin g behaviour, and sequential mode)
- the engine integration does not require to refactor all your code (or at least what you will have to do to integrate drools sessions is ok with your dev plan)
- there will certainly have some performances drawbacks comparing to a dedicated (and I suppose sequential) home-made rule engine. Such thing can be checked by porting your first 15 rules use case and measure perfs delta.