[rules-users] Visualizing production rules metrics in 3D

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Mon May 7 13:31:45 EDT 2012

There are metrics that can be applied to Java code (or the code of similar
languages). Some of these metrics might be applied to the code of a rule's
right hand side, although it should be noted that RHS code should not use
conditional statements (if, switch, for) as this would undermine the
general production rule principle of "LHS selects - RHS executes".
Stringent coding rules would simply rule out if and switch for RHS code.

LHS code is written in an extended expression language. It's difficult to
judge RHS code based on the frequency of CEs, on the quality of CEs and the
number of constraints. There is one problem category I know that can be
solved using a single rule with a fairly complex CE combination.

Nesting "from" or "accumulate" results (as might be expected) in complex
and not too efficient rules, but that's to be expected, and, occasionally,
it can't be helped.

What would your metrics be based on? Showing values in 3D may or may not be
a boon, depending on what the dimensions stand for.

Typically, computing metrics results in values that alert you to expect
more errors or higher meintencance effort due to complexity. Whether it's
possible to express the same logic with rules with smaller "danger" metrics
remains to be seen; sometimes it's possible by redesigning, i.e., what is a
fact, how facts are linked to each other, etc.

-W