[rules-users] Possibly race condition in a persisted Drools + JBPM during a StatefulKnowledgeSession

Alberto R. Galdo argaldo at gmail.com
Tue May 29 10:36:31 EDT 2012

   Your answer is confusing me, I think I'm not getting it right.

   It seems that we you're saying that will have to modify JBPM or Drools
behaviour to get our architecture done ... but I don't think we are doing
nothing special than what Drools & JBPM are able to do in a non-persisting
enviroment ( at least without JBPM persisted ).

   Maybe deeping a bit more the architecture will lead to a better
understanding of the problem:

   We have a Drools StatefulKnowledgeSession wich is populated with
packages of rules and different BPMN 2.0 process definitions. That session
in Drools is persisted using JPA and our JTA provider. Our solution is a
CEP that uses events that get into the session using Drools Fusion. There,
several rules fire and then several consequences start processes wich
contain both Tasks and HumanTasks. Those rule activations are already in a
queue, the Agenda. Given that JBPM acts as the processmanager provider for
Drools, our processes get started in JBPM, and it is persisted using it's
own JPA manager.  Just rules, that start processes in response to events in
a fireUntilHalt loop in a persistent enviroment, both for Drools & JBPM.
Then some processes interact with the knowledge session using BussinessTask
nodes( which make other rules fire and maybe launch a different set of
processes ) and other simply get to the Stop node. I see nothing wrong
here, in fact, taking the persistence appart from the equation, everything
runs as beautifuly as expected. We've tested that.

   I'm just trying to undersand the problem, I'm pretty 90% sure I'm wrong,
but what I think is happening here is that Drools isn't aware that JBPM may
be using the same resources and vice-versa, Isn't it?

   Shouldn't the solution be to make Drools & JBPM aware of each other in
what is related to the syncronization of the transaction management to
avoid race conditions?

Alberto R. Galdo
argaldo at gmail.com