[rules-users] Locking problems when using JBPM with persistence on PostgreSQL

Alberto R. Galdo argaldo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 13:31:11 EST 2012

Hi,

  We have a system that executes processes inside a JBPM session which is
persisted using JPA and Hibernate as entity manager .

  What we are suffering is locking inside JBPM in certain circumstances.
What we experience is that the JBPM process gets locked when in a
transaction to store it's internal state in  the database ( sessioninfo,
processinstanceinfo, ... ). When locked PostgreSQL has a connection that is
in state "idle in transation", this means that a transaction was open (
BEGIN ) and nobody did neither commit nor rollback. Both JBPM and
PostgreSQL are waiting for something to happend that never comes. And there
are ExclusiveLocks and RowExclusiveLocks available in the database (
different tables each time, sometimes pg_largeobject, sometimes others ).

  Our application that uses extensively JBPM is then locked and our users
are unable to execute any operation. We even tried to solve the lock by
killing the connection to the database, then the locks in the database
dissappear but JBPM never recovers ( maybe died with the connection ).

  Has anyone seen something like this before?

Greets,

Alberto R. Galdo
argaldo at gmail.com