[rules-users] drools grid or other high availability solution?

groovenarula gnarula1 at la-z-boy.com
Mon Nov 12 10:29:11 EST 2012

Follow up on high availability -

I'm planning to use Drools for Capacity Management. In my use-case I need to
track # of hours of planned capacity that has been consumed based on hours
allocated. I'm planning on having a StatefulKnowledgeSession that will have
facts that store the # of hours of capacity that are available for a given
week. Then as work comes in (in the form of orders), it will be allocated
against this capacity. Even though at a high level this seems to be a simple
requirement, the process of allocating resources is very complicated and
using rules and FOL would greatly help manage the complexity of the
allocation process.

Based on the discussion above it looks like I won't be able to architect a
solution that's highly available. I'm not concerned about performance (the
drools engine is very efficient even on a single server). But it looks like
it's not possible to share / replicate session state contained in a
StatefulKnowledgeSession across separate JVMs (either on the same server or
across 2 servers).

Am I correct or am I missing something ?