[rules-users] Deploy Drools in AS7 as OSGi bundles

Ioannis Canellos iocanel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 02:29:54 EDT 2012

> Our OSGi stuff is best effort - working on OSGi was like sticking needles
> directly into the back of my eyeball, not fun. tbh I find OSGi a real PITA.
> Too many of our dependencies do not have real OSGi bundles available, so we
> have to resort to the spring repository - where the versions almost never
> match our original target version. Further when it fails it's almost
> freaking impossible to determine why it fails.

The problem with the spring enterprise bundle repository, is that spring
source is no longer actively interested in OSGi (ever since they donated
spring-dm to the eclipse foundation) and a lot of the bundles they provide
are either out of date, or just say not optimal. A much shorter repository
but with better maintained bundles is the repository
of service-mix bundles:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/servicemix/bundles/ which host
bundles for service-mix, camel etc.

Of course, bundles and metadata are always one side of the problem.
Usually, the use of class loaders requires some treatment too.

I'd like to contribute too, in providing a better OSGi support and maybe
add some integration tests using pax-exam or arquillian.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**