[rules-users] rule infinitely loops, appears to be depending on naming on variable

Mario Fusco mario.fusco at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 10:21:09 EDT 2012

In my opinion to have a Java Bean (or a DRL type declaration that is exactly
the same for what regards this issue) with more than 20 fields is a code
smell and however something very hard to maintain. I must admit that I've
been tempted to use an int as bitmask when I developed that feature, but in
the end I decided to go with a long thinking that in this way I could be
sure to cover everybody's needs. Evidently I was wrong.

That said I will experiment developing a custom made BitSet to check if I
can address this issue without paying a performance penalty. Indeed I
wouldn't like to have a performance loss (together with an higher memory
occupation) for something that I still consider an extreme edge case. So
what I will do in the short term will be to just disable the property
reactive feature for types with more than 64 fields and emit a compilation
warning when this happens.

Mario