[rules-users] Cutom Attributes in Drools

dme1 mehtad at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 13 10:28:28 EDT 2012

Davide,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was considering using the MetaData as well,
since it allows both evaluation on the LHS (just like the example you have)
as well as on the RHS where I can get the MetaData through code and use it
in the application.

And like you have suggested I can use dedicated Fact Types for the RHS, the
requirement for us is also for our business users to be able to set these
attributes/properties when creating or updating a rule in Guvnor, so having
a predefined list (attribute name as well as the values) to choose from
makes it easier and error free, and since its not possible with MetaData I
was wondering if there is another way to achieve this with Custom
Attributes.

Also thanks for the heads up on "Rule Overridability" features being added.
The current scenario I was trying to solve is where certain rule would
generate a Hard Stop for the application process (Non Overridable), while
others would generate a Confirmation message for the users to acknowledge
and continue or to abandon processing (Overridable). And since all rules in
our environment have to set this property I was wondering if we could do
this with a Custom Attribute that could be set by the rule (only when it
fires) and evaluated in the application to determine the course of action to
take.

Again thanks for your response, and I now understand the options available.

dme