[rules-users] Cutom Attributes in Drools

Davide Sottara dsotty at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:02:25 EDT 2012

Thank you for reporting this user experience... and I think this is of
interest for other users too.
I would address your problem at different levels..

You basically are asking for a more declarative approach to writing business
rules, and that is perfectly
understandable. The DRL rules are "technical" rules and are somewhat in
between a purely declarative
language and a programming language.

This said, "rules should fire or not depending on the context": if that
context is part of the business logic, i.e. lives at the same level of the
other preconditions, it should be added to the premises of the rules,
and now the problem is finding a better language for your knowledge
engineers to model business rules.

If instead the logic can be understood to be a "meta-level" logic, so that
you'd have to create
"innatural" auxiliary control facts, you could possibly explore the
meta-rule approach I outlined in my previous comment. Of course, this still
suffers from the same technicality issue, but the rules would
be written by the business users and the meta rules by the technical ones...
(btw The reason for not updating metadata is that they are defined
statically at the rule level, whereas you would actually be interested in
the activations! and this is quite different)

Also remember that Drools is community driven: if you think that there is
some missing feature, please
submit a proposal (e.g. would something like SBVR be more suitable for
you?), maybe others will join
you in supporting that. A "critical mass" may help to get it done, and of
course you can help and contribute :)