[rules-users] planning difficulty problem

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 03:26:16 EDT 2012

[I locally answered this question last time already, but it looks like
my mail never reached the mailing list due to a local misconfiguration
at the time]

If it's in anything like the nurse rostering example, I would presume
the following domain:
- Planning entity: ShiftAssignment. There are 9 (3 shifts for 3 hospitals)
- Planning variable: ShiftAssignment.get/setDoctor()
- Planning values for that variable: 10 doctors

So Planner will put a doctor in each of those 9 ShiftAssignments and 1
doctor won't be assigned to any shift.
Actually, Planner might assign the same 2 doctor to 2 different
ShiftAssignments if none of the constraints are broken (such as "no 2
ShiftAssignements at the same time for the same doctor").

See nurse rostering example. Play around with it. Take a look at this
video about contentious planning with nurse rostering:
http://blog.athico.com/2012/08/continuous-planning-video.html
Mentally replace "nurse" with "doctor" and "department" with "hospital".