[rules-users] Combining Drools Expert and Planner

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 12:15:17 EDT 2012

Op 20-09-12 15:59, Phani Saripalli schreef:
> Hi.
>
> Is it possible to combine Drools expert and planner to solve NP problems (or
> some kind of model checking).
>
> For example, I have a model described as a .drl file
>
> declare Project
> x : int
> end
Classes declared in the drl file aren't supported yet in Planner :(
Feel free to make a jira for it.
> And, then I have a constraint (or rule) - something like this -
>

> rule " Rule on x"
> agenda-group "Group 2"
> dialect "mvel"
> no-loop true
>   when
> P : Project(P.x > 5 && P.x < 7)
> then
> System.out.println("Rule satisfied");
> end
that's can be easily converted into a score rule, just replace the
System.out with the insertLogical of the ConstraintOccurrence (see
planner manual for more info)
> Is it possible to obtain a value propagation mechanism by combining with
> Planner, by which I finally get a value for x as 6 ?
you would define a range of values for x and based on the constraint,
planner will end up with value 6 for that Project,
but that's not really efficient.

Planner is really build to solve a case like this where you have 3
projects Project needs an x:

  when
$p : Project(P.x > 5 && P.x < 9)
then ...

and where there are some other constraints such as:

  when
$a : Project(id == "A")
$b : Project(id == "B", x < $a.x)
then ...

that result in an optimal solution of project A with x = 7, project B
with x = 6 and project C with x= 8.