[rules-users] Problem with Banking Tutorial

Stefan Schuster stefan.m.schuster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 09:28:58 EDT 2013

Hello,

I have a problem with the banking tutorial number 3, which is part of the
examples of drools expert.
It simply adds some Numbers as facts, and retracts them in an increasing
order.

It is very short, therefore I post the whole Code:

BankingExample3.java
package org.drools.tutorials.banking;

public class BankingExample3 {
        Number[] numbers = new Number[] {wrap(3), wrap(1), wrap(4),
wrap(1), wrap(5)};
        new RuleRunner().runRules( new String[] { "Example3.drl" },
                                   numbers );
    }

    private static Integer wrap(int i) {
        return new Integer(i);
    }
}

Example3.drl:
package org.drools.tutorials.banking

rule "Rule 01"
    when
        $number : Number()
        not Number( intValue < $number.intValue )
    then
        System.out.println("Number found with value: " + $number.intValue()
);
        retract( $number );

Output:
Inserting fact: 3
Inserting fact: 1
Inserting fact: 4
Inserting fact: 1
Inserting fact: 5
Number found with value: 1
Number found with value: 1
Number found with value: 3
Number found with value: 4
Number found with value: 5

that seams absolute logically to me.
But now I alter the Numbers in the Java-Part:
 Number[] numbers = new Number[] {wrap(3), wrap(1), wrap(2)};

and the output destroys everything I thought I understood:
Inserting fact: 3
Inserting fact: 1
Inserting fact: 2
Number found with value: 1
Number found with value: 3
Number found with value: 2

Can someone  reproduce this behavior?? It seams absolutely strange to me. I
would have expected the order 1,2,3. Any explanations?

Thanks in advance for helping me!