[rules-users] NullPointerException when using bean property which happens to be a Enum name

Sean Su sean.x.su at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 13:19:55 EDT 2013

I am using 5.5.0.Final and I think I may have run into a bug.

Assuming I have a class Foo  that has a getter which is getMyEnum().

Also I have a Enum class which happens to have the name MyEnum.

When writing rules, I have

$foo : Foo (MyEnum == MyEnum.someItem)

This line will throw NullPointerException.

I have to write it as:
$foo : Foo (getMyEnum() == MyEnum.someItem)

This statement will work just fine.

The workaround is ok for DRL. However I tested this on Guvnor and the rule
editor would generate the DRL just like the first statement (MyEnum ==
MyEnum.someItem). So we would be out of luck there.

Has anyone ever ran into this before.

Thanks

Sean