[rules-users] Upgrade from drools 5.4 to 6.0.0-Beta3 - Legacy API Adapter JAR

MaverickDrools aseem.belsare at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 10:25:30 EDT 2013

Hi,

There is not enough documentation on drools v6.0.0-Beta3, but this is what
I'm trying to do.

Our system was designed with 5.3 but then we encountered the issue with
synchronization (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBRULES-3283), so we
upgraded to v 5.4.

Things worked fine until we multithreaded the client code due to which we
faced another issue (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBRULES-3675)

So finally now, I'm trying to upgrade to 6.0.0-Beta3 since both those issues
should've been fixed with 6.0.0-Alpha1. The problem I'm facing is, I do not
have enough documentation to look at to see how to convert those things. I
went through the slides etc that were posted on the mailing list for the
conferences, but I'm still unable to figure it out correctly..

So, can someone point me to a JUnit or something that I can look at to
figure this thing out?

static {
	    KieServices ks = KieServices.Factory.get();

        KieRepository kr = ks.getRepository();

        Resource res = ks.getResources().newFileSystemResource(
                "src/main/resources/rules/abc.drl");

        KieModule kModule = kr.addKieModule(res);
        kc = ks.newKieContainer(kModule.getReleaseId());
	}

throws an exception on kr.addKieModule(res) which says Error in opening zip
file.. I assume we are now expecting a jar instead of a plain drl file. Is
there a way to convert this drl into a jar that the 6.0 code can understand
(for compatibility purposes with the existing system)?

Another thought was to make use of the Legacy API Adapter JAR, but I
couldn't find any examples of the same. Can you point me to a code
sample/JUnit that could explain how this works?

Thanks